As the Burrito Burns

Step into the surrealishious and amazing world of Mexico as told through the eyes and mind of a teacher who has spent the past 20 years living in the coastal city of Puerto Vallarta. A wide range of experiences stretching from the serious to the sublime: living, working, marrying, birthing, teaching, eating, drinking, frolicking and fraternizing and so much more. There is so much to see and do, to tell and be told the list never gets old here at "As the Burrito Burns."

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Power of the Siesta.

I'll admit to being one of those people who worships the siesta. After living in a tropical climate for so many years, my blood has thinned and so has my energy! I get home from work each afternoon about 3:00, the family has the mid-day meal and I head for the bedroom like a pre-programmed robot with my sight set firmly on my pillows. The ideal siesta involves a trouble-free mind, a good air-conditioner and two comfy pillows. My children generally head to their room to do their homework and know from experience not to disturb their mother unless they want to experience the wrath of Khan.
I discovered taking a siesta up in Canada can cause some people to worry: Are you ill? Did you get enough sleep? Is everything O.K.? are just a few of the queries I get when I head for a quick snooze up in the land of serious energy. I try to ignore them but often wind up with a disturbing feeling of guilt that is counter-productive to the very non-activity I seek. Oh, I guess I should get up and find something to "do". I have noticed, however, there is a sly way to build in a siesta without arrousing suspicion, and I learned it from my brother. Turn on the T.V. to some innocuous show, turn down the volume, lie on couch, close eyes and everyone will think you're watching T.V. which apparently is an acceptable activity because it suggests you are doing "something" as opposed to merely sleeping. Well, I cherish those siestas almost as much as the meal that precedes them and I'm not planning on giving them up anytime soon.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Andrea J. Carman said…

    Jenny: you got that right! The trick, I think, is to somehow make it "appear" to be productive.
    Chris: We could NEVER underestimate the power of the icy cold caguama. Fuel for an upcoming Blog!

    Greg: You are my inspiration and I have to say, I learned from a pro!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home