As the Burrito Burns

Step into the surrealishious and amazing world of Mexico as told through the eyes and mind of a teacher who has spent the past 20 years living in the coastal city of Puerto Vallarta. A wide range of experiences stretching from the serious to the sublime: living, working, marrying, birthing, teaching, eating, drinking, frolicking and fraternizing and so much more. There is so much to see and do, to tell and be told the list never gets old here at "As the Burrito Burns."

Friday, December 29, 2006

Hunting the Healthy Stuff

For a change of pace, I parked the car in the underground parking lot at Mega Commercial (lots of room!) and hoofed it downtown to my fave bulk food/health store as I am back at it once again with the low carb/healthier eating. (At this time of year, I actually think it's faster to walk than to drive since the main drag was pretty congested!) It's interesting to note they have a good supply of dried cranberries which are excellent for your health and do really well in banana bread or bran muffins and come to life nicely with a bit of boiling water and a packet of Splenda for a side dish with poultry--hubby loves then heaped on top of his mashed potatoes. Anyway, I got some cranberries and then I found a bag of flax seed for the Omega-3 factor and this bag is mixed with Nopal cactus for extra benefits. Next on the goody list of favourable items was a jar of 100% natural peanut butter which I enjoy on grainy toast and I also found a small container of peanut oil which is good to cook certain dishes with, especially Indian or Thai food. Just as I was wrapping up my little shop, I found a big container of pecans in the shell which the Mexicans call "nuez" although nuez are technically walnuts. I asked the girl how they crack open the pecans and she simply grabbed two in her hand and squeezed them against each other. Voila! I do possess a nut cracker and during the holidays I've been enjoying REAL walnuts from the shell. Now I have some pecans to throw in the mix. Anyway, this store full of goodies is located just south of Ley on the same side of the road and worth a visit if you're hunting for something healthy, holistic, unusual or exotic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home